Sunday, November 16, 2014

Replicating the Test Print

factory test print


Summary: My attempts to replicate the factory test print. Correct nozzle temperature is the key.

I've had my fill of printing robots for now. It is a really tough model to print well so I end up chasing "problems" that are more a fault of the model design than the machine. The UM2 comes with a test part that was printed on your machine during the QA process. If everything is working as it is supposed to, you should be able to print the test file and have it come out as good as the one that came with your machine. I decided to print the test model to see if I could match the quality of the factory print. If I can, I know my machine is working properly.

factory print - top view

factory print - back view

I loaded the test model from the SD card and printed it at 220°C. The print was great except for the top layer. It was not completely filled in. The columns seemed to be a little rougher than the factory print as well.

220°C top view

220°C front view

220°C back view

Then I realized that the factory print might have been printed at 210°C since that is how the printer arrived. So I changed the nozzle temperature back to 210°C and tried again. I didn't think it would help and I was right.

210°C top view

210°C front view

210°C back view

The back turned out fine. The columns are about the same as the 220°C print. But the top is even worse. Am I still having under extrusion problems even at 220°C? I raised the nozzle temperature to 225°C and tried again.

my test print @ 225°C

Bingo. The columns are great. The layers are a little more visible in my print but the surface is pretty smooth. The back surface of my print is better than the factory print. And the top surfaces are nearly identical. My print has a small hole in bottom of the circular well but I bet if I printed it again it might come out OK. I am satisfied that my printer is tuned in. Time to start printing some interesting stuff.

factory (L) v. my print (R)

factory (L) v. my print (R)

factory (L) v. my print (R)

No comments:

Post a Comment