Saturday, November 22, 2014

Raven Skull



Summary: 3D Kitbash models are amazing!  UM2 print quality is unbelievable on the high quality defaults.

While browsing Thingiverse one day I came across this amazing raven skull model. It is from the Boneheads collection by 3D Kitbash. The Kitbash models are really well designed. First, the surface detail in the model is impressive. Where most models have smooth surfaces, the Boneheads seem to have a subtle surface texture in the model which breaks up the print lines and makes the final print look like bone and not plastic. Also, the models are designed in multiple parts to avoid bad overhangs, odd flat spots from the print bed, or the need for supports. The parts assemble with pins that are printed from a separate file, no glue is needed.

2 part model

I have wanted to print this model ever since I got the UM2 set up. But I wanted to wait until I was sure the machine was up to the task. My prints have been turning out really nice so I decided to give it a try. I was pretty sure it would print fine, I just didn't know how good the print quality would be. I loaded up the model in Cura and selected the high quality print setting at 215°C. A little over 6 hours later, the print was done. I realized after the fact I probably could have gotten away with a lower infill and saved some time.

hot off the printer

The print was nearly flawless. I never expected the UM2 to print this well; the layers are almost invisible. The tip of the beak was a little melted and there were a few blobs on some of the worst overhangs. But everything else was perfect. Both issues were easily fixed with an x-acto knife and a small file.

slight melting at beak tip

small blobs on the overhangs

Next I printed the pins and assembled the skull. The pins held the skull together tight, but there was a little play in the parts and the joint was too visible for my liking. So I added some cyanoacrylate glue and held the parts together to close the gap. My printer leaves about a 0.5 mm lip around the base of any prints. I needed to remove the lip around the seam of the skull. I used a new blade on my x-acto knife and carefully cut away the bulk of the lip. Then using the edge of the blade, I scraped the remaining seam down to the surface of the skull. By following the grain of the layers, the scraped area blended nicely with the rest of the print. It is more obvious in the pictures; in person it is hardly noticeable.

top seam

right seam

left seam

The raven skull is one of the few free models from 3D Kitbash. There are several other equally awesome models available for sale on their website. With all of the free 3D models available I never thought I would pay for a model. But I am so happy with this one, I just may have to drop a few bucks for some of the other models. This print will likely be the flagship of my collection. But first, you just know I am going to print the wall mount.


No comments:

Post a Comment