Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Maintenance Time!

these lines should be touching

Summary: Tighten your belts and lube the rods every 120 hours or whenever your print lines drift apart.

I just hit 120 hours of printing on my UM2. My last print was going to be a long 19+ hours. So you can imagine my despair when I noticed the first few layers weren't looking too good. There were noticeable spaces between the lines. I was printing with the normal quality defaults where the initial layers print nice and slow. It wasn't an issue of my print settings being too aggressive. The filament wasn't skipping and the lines were uniform, just not touching. So it didn't seem to be a case of under extrusion. I wasn't going to chance ruining a long print, so I aborted after just a few layers to troubleshoot.


Once again, I went to my favorite troubleshooting guide. I found the solution here. It looks like after so many hours of printing, either the belts have stretched a little, or the stepper motors have drifted in their slotted mounting holes. Luckily it is an easy fix. Simply loosen the screws for the stepper motors, apply downward pressure, and tighten the screws. Oddly enough, none of the included Allen keys fit the bolts properly (they're 2 mm). It took me longer to find the correct driver than it did to tighten the belts. While I was at it, I added a drop of silicone oil to the X and Y guide rods on the print head. Then I manually moved the print head to all extremes to distribute the oil.

initial layer after adjustments

That did the trick. Right after the maintenance, I started the print again. This time the lines were touching as expected. I was a little surprised at the improvement since the belts felt nice and tight before I adjusted them. I think Ultimaker should consider some sort of tensioner on each stepper to keep things tight. With all of the work those steppers are doing, it seems inevitable that the motors will drift some in the mounts. So just a little preventive maintenance can save you from lousy prints.

1 comment:

  1. These short belts are lousy indeed, I faced the lines not touching dilemma for a long time, even after adjusting the belts and making sure the tension is right, after many many re-tension attempts, I was able to solve it.

    ReplyDelete