Friday, December 12, 2014

Cable Holder


Summary: Original design of a cable clip to keep your charging cables off of the floor. 

There are a lot of portable electronics in my house, each with its own charging cable. Whenever one of them is unplugged, the cable falls to the floor. Not only is it annoying to have to fish the cable off the floor from behind furniture, the house is starting to look like the snake pit from Indiana Jones with cables winding all over the place!

these clips from Thingiverse were way too big, 32 mm in diameter

I thought it would be easy enough to print a cable holder that would keep the cable end on top of my furniture. I tried a few designs from Thingiverse but I couldn't find any that I liked. Some were too large, others had gaps that were too wide and the cable would fall out. So I decided to make my own.

looks nice but cable slips out of gap

It turned out to be a little harder than I expected. It turns out, each charging cable had a different diameter. So if I designed a holder for a thicker cable, anything smaller would fall out. If I designed the gap for a smaller cable, I couldn't fit the thicker cables. I tried closing the gap down and making the sides thin enough to flex. That way you could bend the clip to insert the cable and the gap would close. But I was afraid the sides would crack and I didn't like the look of any of those designs.

my flexible design...meh

Finally I decided that I needed a design that snapped shut to completely enclose the cable. That way it would work with any size charging cable. Rather than go with the same hemisphere design as everyone else, I went with a cube. It took a couple of tries to get the snap feature correct; tight enough to hold together, loose enough to snap. But the final design works great. First time assembly is a little tight, but it smooths out after a few times. The orientation of the layers actually locks the halves together and keeps the pieces from sliding apart.

the Cable Box™

two halves print at same time

I named it the Cable Box™ after the shape. I made four versions to hold 1 to 4 cables. It is 12 mm square and has a 6 mm hole which should fit most charging cables. You attach it to surfaces with foam tape. The halves are a single .stl file but are separated on the build platform. So they print at the same time regardless of your "print one at a time" setting in Cura.


designs for 2-4 cables

Cable Box ™ in action

I printed these in PLA at 210°C with the High Quality defaults. The design works great; looks pretty good too. I'm proud of the snap-together feature. I wasn't sure I could pull that off. I'll be printing a bunch of these for my house. If you want some for your house too, the files are available on YouMagine and Thingiverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment